Welcome to HIPAA MMM Month 1. We are pleased to be able to help you keep your existing HIPAA program ‘Active & Dynamic’ and to do our best to help you meet the government guidelines.
What to expect?
You will receive a link from us monthly, approximately the 15th of each month, that contains your activities for that month. It’s as easy as 1 – 2 – 3!
1. Read the provided instructions
2. Download the included documents according to the instruction
3. Complete the assigned task, document according to the instructions and file in your HIPAA manual in a place you will remember and be able to locate if you ever need to produce them.
Instructions for the routine repeated monthly QUICK CHECK review audit
It is advised that every month you do this same QUICK CHECK audit by using the following audit tool and place any written updates in your HIPAA manual – make sure to review the QUICK CHECK every month as items are added periodically based on changes in focus and enforcement activities within the federal government:
Below are the Instruction to correspond with each item on the Monthly Audit List;
1. If yes, perform a risk analysis for that device, as you did for the devices when you prepared your original risk analysis from the Survival Kit or by copying the format for the risk analysis used in the Silver or Gold program originally provided for you (you can also use your Survival Kit as a reference/templates) Add this newly prepared document to your HIPAA manual.
2. If yes, then remember to document what you did to assure that the device had no patient health information /electronic data remaining on it (i.e. had a service clean the hard drive, destroyed the hard drive, shredded information –if paper etc., at the time of disposition).
3. If yes, remember to have them sign an employee confidentiality form and assure that you perform a full HIPAA training within 45 days of hire.(Remember; You can use this training video Annual Staff Inservice or there is an audio training in the Survival KIT that can be paired with giving your new employee a copy of your office HIPAA policies and having them sign off that they agree to read, understand and abide by those policies to satisfy this training. Don’t forget to document this in your HIPAA manual.)
4-8. Regardless of the specific customized evaluation/review/audit you will perform THIS month, due to the increase in Ransom ware, it is advised to assure and document that all patches, updates, firewalls, antivirus, malware etc. are current and installed on at least a monthly basis.
9. Again, especially due to ransom ware, the required HIPAA contingency plan, most especially focused on the area of data recovery, has become a major center of attention. One of the key components is that your backups are readily available and your data can be restored in the event of an attack on your patient data that shuts down your main computers etc.
Download Quick Audit Doc
Monthly security reminder
It is required, by HIPAA law, that you issue periodic security reminders to your workforce. The law does not define periodic, but an authoritative source has stated that once per month should be adequate for most physician offices.
Your monthly security reminder -for distribution to your workforce is provided-remember to document that you distributed such to all of your workforce including volunteers, part-time employees, family members who help out ‘here and there’, etc. etc. as this is a required component of the HIPAA law…” You must distribute periodic security reminders to your workforce”.
Download Security Reminder Welcome
Activity for this month:
Annual Staff In Service & Training. You are required to train your staff on an annual basis or within 45 days of hiring a new employee. You can either schedule a meeting and have all of the staff complete this training together at one time or allow them to each participate in the training individually. Download the attached document and if you’d like to use the Survival Kit as reference, this section is covered under Chapter 7 and Form #26. You may watch the provided video below or teach the training yourself using the provided outline.
Download MMM Annual Service
Staff Training Video with Full Instruction
Audio Recording of Annual Staff Training: